Barton Le Street
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BARTON LE STREET, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; (the seat of Henry Cockerill Leatham, Esq.) 5 miles WNW. of Malton. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is antique (see Churches for photograph), and was built from the ruin of St. Mary's Abbey, York; s it contains a great deal of curious sculpture: the living is a rectory, and in the gift of the Marchioness of Hertford; incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Lund, A.M., Pop. 176."
"BUTTERWICK, in the parish of Barton le Street, wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles NNE. of Barton le Street, 7 miles NW. of Malton. Population including Newsam, 50."
"CONEYSTHORPE, in the parish of Barton le Street, & wapentake of Bulmer; 2 miles SSW. of Barton le Street, 5 miles W. of Malton. A very pleasant little village close to the park wall of Castle Howard. Pop. 160."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Barton le Street in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barton Le Street to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE722742 (Lat/Lon: 54.158545, -0.895845), Barton Le Street which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)