BARTON LE STREET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"BARTON LE STREET, a parish, partly in the wapentake of Ryedale, and partly in that of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N.W. of New Malton, its post town. It is on the south-west bank of the river Rye, a branch of the river Derwent, near an ancient Roman way, and contains the townships of Coneysthorpe and Butterwick. The living, is a rectory in the diocese of York, of the value of £450, in the patronage of H. C. Meynell Ingram, Esq. The church contains some interesting old sculpture, and is dedicated to St. Michael. The materials for its erection were taken, it is said, from the ruins of the abbey of St. Mary, York. The Wesleyans have a chapel here."
"BUTTERWICK, a township in the parish of Barton-le-Street, wapentake of Ryedale, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N.W. of New Malton. It lies near the Thirsk, Malton, and Driffield branch of the North-Eastern railway, on which Barton is a station. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Barton-le-Street, in the diocese of York."
"CONEYSTHORPE, a township in the parish of Barton-le-Street, in the wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles W. of New Malton. Here is a chapel of ease, built at the expense of the Earl of Carlisle in 1835, and there is a school supported by the Countess of Carlisle."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013