The Ancient Parish of BEDALE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BEDALE, a parish in the wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 6 miles from Masham, 8 from Northallerton, 9 from Middleham, 14 from Ripon, and 224 from London. The town is tolerably well built, and contains according to the census taken in 1821, a population of 1137. The church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Gregory is a spacious structure, in the Gothic style of architecture, and has a good tower or steeple, in the deanry of Catterick, diocese of Chester, value 89L. 4s. 9½d. Patrons, Henry Peirse and Thomas Stapylton, Esqrs. The market is on Tuesday, and is well supplied with all kinds of butcher's meat, poultry, butter, and vegetables. Bedale is situated in a rich valley about two miles to the west of Leeming lane: the surrounding country is extremely fertile: and the crops, both of corn and grass, are abundant. Fairs, Easter and Whit-Tuesdays, for horned cattle and sheep; July 6 and 7, October 11 and 12, for horned cattle, sheep, and leather; Monday se'night before Christmas-day, for horned cattle, sheep, and pigs. Principal Inns, Black Swan, and Royal-Oak.
The Castle of Bedale, the residence and most probably the workmanship of Brian Fitzalan, stood a little to the south-west of the Church-Steeple, from which it appears to have been detached only by a street. The foundations have been traced to a considerable extent from the gardens of Henry Peirse, Esq. the present owner of the site, into a field north-west from the church, but no vestiges now remain above the surface. The church living is a rectory, in the gift of Henry Pierce, Esq. M. P. and of Miles Stapleton, alternately. Here is also a Methodist chapel, built A.D. 1821. The poor of Bedale enjoy the benefit of many munificent charitable bequests, and here is a hospital for 6 poor men of the parish, founded and endowed by Peter Samwaies, D. D. and rector, A. D. 1698. Also a hospital for three poor widows, founded by Richard and Thomas Young. There is also a free grammar school, endowed with the annual sum of £7. 11s. 4d. by the Crown paid annually, at the audit holden at Richmond, out of the land-revenues of the crown , and £13. 6s. 8d, by a Countess Dowager of Warwick, which is now converted into a National School."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- A book about the Wensleydale Railway by Tony Eaton is available.
- An index of the names from the Crakehall Monumental Inscriptions from 1840.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Bedale with St Gregory's Church.
- St Gregory's Church, Bedale - the best view I could get. (With short history).
- St Gregory's Church - the splendid view presented to visitors driving through Bedale!
- The Methodist Church, Bedale. (With short history).
- St. Gregory's Church, Great Crakehall. (With short history).
- The Methodist Church, Great Crakehall. (With short history).
- The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Little Crakehall, founded in 1897 now a dwelling. (With short history).
- The Methodist Church, Aiskew. (With short history).
- St. Mary and St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Aiskew. (With short history).
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- The Mission Church, Burrill.
- The ex-Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Burrill, founded in 1857, now a dwelling.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Bedale.
- The list of incumbents in St. Gregory's Church, Great Crakehall.
- The Manpower Services Team who restored St. Cuthbert's Church, Great Crakehall in 1983.
- The list of those who generously donated to the refurbishment of St. Cuthbert's Church, Great Crakehall in 1993-4.
- The List of Rectors in St. Gregory's Church, Bedale.
- An index of the Crakehall Manor Court Attendances 1673-1760.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bedale to another place.
- By Order in Council, dated 11th of April, 1840, the townships of Great Crakehall and Langthorne, formerly under the jurisdiction of this parish, and part of East Brompton in Patrick Brompton became a parish in their own right. See Great Crakehall Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE265880 (Lat/Lon: 54.286948, -1.594434), Bedale which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- An index of the names from Crakehall wills and probate inventories from the Archdeaconry of Richmond (1589-1700)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: