Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BEDALE. Church dedication: ST. GREGORY. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 7,070 acres. Hang East and Hallikeld wapentakes. -Population, 2,707 *1; Church-room, 1,500; Net value, £1,936. -The Church was formerly in the patronage of the Fitz Alans, and afterwards of the Stapletons of Carleton.
Present patrons, Miss Pierse and M. Stapleton, Esq.
Valued in the King's Books, at £89. 4s. 9½d., per annum.
Inclosure Acts were passed 31st Geo. III. and 3rd and 4th Will. IV.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1560.
Charity Estates. Under the management of the Rector and twenty-four parishioners : viz. Wishmore Estate, 16 acres; Willow Close, 2A. 0r. 32p.; Hazleflatt Estate, 12 acres ; Thirn Estate, 18A. 3R. 10P.; Young's Estate, 10a. 2r. 11p. Bought with various legacies, amount of rents given in money and bread.
Dr. Samwaies's Hospital, by will, 1691. Four almspeople, who have 3s. a week each, and coals, gown, and hat. Income ; £55. 2s. 2d. per annum.
Firby Hospital. Founded by John Clapham, about 1608, for a master and six brethren. The master has 12s. 6d. a month, and the brethren 10s. a month each, besides coals and gowns. Six children are also directed to be educated. Endowment : rents-charge of £50 per annum, and the interest of £150.
Widows' Hospital. Founded by one Robert Younge-time unknown, for three widows or single women. Income ; rent of twelve acres of land, interest of £90 and rent charge of £4.
Firby Poor. rent charge of £1 per annum.
Endowed Grammar School. Founded by Queen Elizabeth, and augmented by the Countess of Warwick, in 1628. No free scholars for forty years preceding the Report, and in 1816, the revenues were appropriated to a national school. The Commissioners expressed their hope that a grammar school would be restored. Endowment ; £13. 6s. 8d. per annum rents-charge.
William Heaton's gift, by will, 7th December, 1709. Interest of £100, for educating eight boys. Now applied towards the national school.
TOWNSHIP OF AISKEW.
Poor's land. 2a. 2r., with cottage and allotment.
Poor's money. Interest of £40, amount of several old donations.
Webster's rent charge. £5 per annum, for teaching eight poor children to read.
TOWNSHIP OF CRAKEHALL.
Isabella Benson's dole, rent charge of 24s. per annum ; William Clarke's charity. 11s. per annum, are paid out of certain lands. -Vide 7th Report, page 671.
Torre's MS., page 1623. (Monuments, &c.) Nonae Roll, page 238. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bedale), page 111. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 5. Bodleian MSS., No. 5101.
*1 Viz. Askew, 586 ; Bedale and Firby, 1,266 ; Burrell and Cowling, 139; Crakehall, 580; Langthorne, 136.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.