Hide

Birkby

hide
Hide

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"BIRKBY, (or Bretby) a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 6 miles N. of Northallerton. The church is dedicated to St. Peter; the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham. Population, 90."


"HUTTON BONVILLE, in the parish of Birkby, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 2 miles S. of Birkby, 5 miles NW. of Northallerton. The principal inhabitant is Henry Pierce, Esq. M. P. who resides at the hall. The Church, peculiar, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Laurence. Patron, Henry Peirse, Esq. Population, 107.

The mansion and estate of Hutton-Bonville, recently purchased by Henry Peirse, Esq. and adjoins his other estates at Lazenby, &c. all once the property and residence of the ancient family of Conyers. The last Baronet of that family (Sir Thomas) died a few years ago in Chester-le-Street."


"LITTLE SMEATON, in the parish of Birkby, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 1¼ miles NE. of Birkby, 6 miles N. of Northallerton. Population, 64."


"LOVESOME HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Birkby, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 2¾ miles SE. of Birkby, 3½ miles N. of Northallerton. Pop. included with Hutton Bonville."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
Hide
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

History

  • Between 1823 and 1890, the chapelry of Hutton Bonville (in this parish) became a parish in its own right. See Hutton Bonville Parish.
topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ332034 (Lat/Lon: 54.424955, -1.489808), Birkby which are provided by:

topup

Societies