Hide

Bossall

hide
Hide

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"BOSSALL, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 9 miles NE. of York. Here is a very handsome church dedicated to St. Botolph, and built in the form of a cross (see Churches for photograph), the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, of which the Rev. James Britton, D. D. is the incumbent. This place, which now consists of three houses, was once a considerable village. Foundations of many houses have from time to time been discovered in an adjoining field, which on that account is called " Old Bossall" Robert Belt, Esq. resides at Bossall. Population, 31."

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.

  • Aldby Park
  • Barnby
  • Buttercrambe
  • Claxton
  • Flaxton
  • Harton
  • Lobster House
  • Sand Hutton
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
Hide
topup

Charities

topup

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Description & Travel

  • Andy Kerridge has written an article on Buttercrambe village giving a recent history and several photographs. There is also a copy of a map of Buttercrambe and Aldby made in 1633.
topup

Directories

topup

Dwellings

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Genealogy

topup

History

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE719608 (Lat/Lon: 54.038177, -0.903618), Bossall which are provided by:

topup

Memorial Inscriptions

topup

Societies