[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BOWES, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles SW. of Barnard Castle. There is here a church dedicated to St. Giles (see Churches for photograph), a Methodist chapel and a free Grammar school. Bowes is situated on the edge of Stainmoor, near the north point of the county, on the banks of the river Greta, and consists principally of one street, nearly three quarters of a mile long from east to west. Population, 1,093." (There is further information for Bowes).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Transcript of the entry for Bowes in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Bowes.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bowes to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY995135 (Lat/Lon: 54.516799, -2.009235), Bowes which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (NY991134) Bowes Castle
- (NY944126) Spital Grange
- (NY942126) Spital Park
- This parish is covered by the following Society: