Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Ryedale - Electoral Division and Poor Law Union of Kirby Moorside - County Court District and Rural Deanery of Helmsley - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish, formed in 1873, comprises the townships of Farndale East Side, Farndale West Side-with-Bransdale East Side, Bransdale West Side, and Farndale Low Quarter, the first named having been taken from the parish of Lastingham, the latter two from that of Kirby Moorside, and Bransdale West Side from Kirkdale. The total area included is 21,613 acres, of which, 10,034 are under cultivation, and the rest is waste land or common. The population of the parish in 1881 was 839.
FARNDALE EAST SIDE. - This township is situated in the upper part of the dale, watered by the river Dove. It comprises an area of about 6,000 acres, the whole of which belongs to Lord Feversham, who is also lord of the manor. About one half of the township is moorland, and the other half is chiefly laid down in grass. The dale is well wooded, and the scenery varied and pleasing. Game is plentiful on the moors. The rateable value is £1,731, and the population in 1881 was 370.
The remains of an ancient British trackway are to be seen at the north end of the dale, and arrow heads of flint have been frequently found in the district. A few howes or tumuli are to be met with on the moors. Coal of inferior quality is found, and near Lenderfield House are the remains of jet works.
The Church (St. Mary) was erected about 200 years ago as a chapel-of-ease, and was restored in 1831. It consists of chancel, nave, with gallery, a small bell tower, and large porch. There is accommodation for 300. The living is annexed to Bransdale. There is also a Wesleyan chapel in the dale, a neat stone structure, built in 1886, at a cost of over £300; and a Sunday school has recently been added.
The National School, erected many years ago by Lord Feversham, receives £6 13s. 4d. from Stockton's charity (See Nawton), for which, six children are taught gratuitously.
FARNDALE WEST SIDE AND BRANSDALE EAST SIDE form a united township, containing 4,479 acres, exclusive of moorland. Its rateable value is £1,417, and population, 221. Lord Feversham is lord of the manor and sole proprietor. The hills contain ironstone, coal, jet, and freestone. Bransdale is a narrow valley, through which flows Hodges beck. The scenery is varied, and at the lower end richly wooded. There is no village, the houses being scattered through the dale, which is about four miles in length. At the upper end is the church (St. Nicholas) a small structure in the Norman style, restored by the patron (Lord Feversham) about four years ago. Bransdale-with-Farndale was constituted an ecclesiastical parish several years ago, with a district embracing 22½ square miles. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £245 per annum, and held by the Rev. G. W. Heaps.
FARNDALE LOW QUARTER contains 3,560 acres, of which, about 1,000 are under assessment. Rateable value, £502. Lord Feversham is sole owner and lord of the manor. Low Mill is a small hamlet in this township. Here is a school built by the Earl of Feversham in 1829. The Wesleyans hold service in it on Sundays.
BRANSDALE WEST SIDE contains about 2,000 acres, of which, one half is moorland. Earl Feversham is lord of the manor and sole owner. The soil is various, but the subsoil chiefly gravel and alum shale. Rateable value, £355; population, 75. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.