Hide

BROTTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BROTTON, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Brotton, Kilton, and Skinningrove, and containing 492 inhabitants, of which number, 332 are in the township of Brotton, 6 miles E.N.E. from Guilsbrough. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Skelton, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York. The church was erected in 1741. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"KILTON, a township in the parish of BROTTON, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.N.E. from Guilsbrough, containing 100 inhabitants. There was formerly a castle, which, with the lordship, belonged to the ancient family of Thwengs."


"SKINNINGROVE, a township in the parish of BROTTON, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.E. from Guilsbrough, containing 60 inhabitants. It has a small fishing village, situated on a creek, almost secluded from view by the lofty heights which closely environ it on every side."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]