[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BULMER, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer. (This place gives its name to the wapentake) 7 miles SW. of Malton. Here is a church, dedicated to St. Martin (see Churches for photograph). The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Earl Fitzwilliam, incumbent the Rev. William Preston. Population, 339.
Bulmer was formerly the seat of the ancient family of the Idels."
"HENDERSKELFE, in the wapentake and parish of Bulmer; 1¾ miles NE. of Bulmer, 7 miles WSW. of Malton, containing a population of 159 souls." (There is further information for Henderskelfe).
"WELBURN, in the parish of Bulmer, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1¼ miles ENE. of Bulmer, 5½ miles SW. of Malton. Population, 352."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- Here are two photographs of "Scatter Penny" in Bulmer village from Josephine Laxton:
- Scatter Penny circa 1910. The woman in the doorway is Josephine's Grandmother.
- The modern Scatter Penny. The house was in use by a family of Elliotts for a period of at least 50 years. from the early 1900's on. The Elliott Clan was associated with Castle Howard from the early 1800's. One Isaac Elliot from the extended Elliot(t) clan, as well as his sons Robert and Isaac, were Gamekeepers/Gillies at Castle Howard. Isaac Elliot Sr. being listed as Head Gamekeeper. This is noted in cenuses and the Will of Isaac Elliot(t). The Elliotts and extended families, have been associated with the castle until the present, not always carrying the Elliott name...Isaac and his wife are buried in Bulmer Village Churchyard, as well as the line of Elliotts associated with Bulmer village. These Elliotts, enmasse, originated in Scotland proper, were brought down to the borders of Scotland, as a noted fighting clan, to protect the border and were dispersed during the clearances. They then settled in Cumbria, and came down to Yorkshire in the late 1700's or early 1800's. [Josephine Laxton 2011]
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bulmer to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE699677 (Lat/Lon: 54.100454, -0.932562), Bulmer which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)