Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BULMER. Church dedication: ST. MARTIN. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 3,800 acres. Bulmer wapentake. -Population, 901 *1; Church-room, 300; Net value, £395. -The town of Bulmer contained one knight's fee, which John de Bulmer held of Peter de Malolacu, and he of the King in capite.
The Priory of Marton had two acres of land here.
The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Bulmers, of Wilton, knights, afterwards of the Hassells, then of the Laybournes ; and in 1767 the Marquis of Rockingham presented, since which time the patronage has been in the Wentworth family.
Present patron, Earl Fitzwilliam.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £5. 6s. 8d.; and in the King's books, at £11 per annum. Synodals and Procurations, 11s. 6d.
2nd July 1779, faculty granted to build a gallery.
1st December 1813, ditto to re-pew the Church.
An Inclosure Act was passed 17th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence. It was rebuilt under a faculty granted 22nd June 1801.
The Register Books for baptisms commence in 1589 -deficient 1601 to 1610, 1634 to 1655, and 1702 to 1717 : for marriages in 1573 -deficient 1639 to 1652, and 1702 to 1717: and for burials in 1571 -deficient 1585 to 1589, 1601 to 1652, and 1702 to 1718. -Vide transcripts at York.
Poor's Money. This consists of the sum of £23, the amount of certain old benefactions for the poor, and is secured by bond of the Earl of Carlisle to William Peterkin and Henry Haggard, in trust for the poor, dated 30th November 1795, and the interest thereof (£1. 3s. per annum) distributed at Christmas, by and at the discretion of the churchwardens and overseers. -Vide 8th Report, page 709.
Post town: Whitwell.
Torre's MS., page 455. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 21. Bawdwen's Domesday Book ( Bolemere), pages 73. 75 ; (Heldreschelf), 120; (Wellebrune), 23. 74. 122. 199. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5101. Burton's Monasticon, page 265. Nonae Roll, page 235.
*1 Viz. Bulmer, 360; Hinderskelfe, 150; and Welburn (including Hardiflatts, extra-parochial, 4 inhabitants), 391. -In 1834, the population of the parish was returned at 740. Probably Hinderskelfe is excluded.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.