Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bulmer parish:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Bulmer parish:

Welburn, History transcription:

The brief History of St. John's Church, Welburn.


A brief history of
St. John the Evangelist Church - Welburn

Prior to 1860 Welburn Angelicans worshipped at the church in Bulmer or,
in exceptionally inclement weather, in the Welburn schoolroom. Finding
the trek to Bulmer too much and the schoolroom rather small, a number of
the residents got together on the 13th July 1857 to discuss the situation.
The outcome of this meeting was that a committee was formed to explore
the possibility of building a church in Welburn. The committee canvassed
the villagers and also approached the Earl of Carlisle for his support. The
Earl offered to provide a suitable site, that on which the church now stands,
and to make a donation towards the building costs. The villagers made
contributions and donations were also received from various organisations
and charities.

Architects were chosen by August 1858 and, after submitting several plans, a
scheme was selected in which the elevation design was to be similar to 14th
century Gothic. Seating was to be provided for 303 people of which 287 were
for the poor. The initial cost was estimated to be about £1000 but the final
figure was in the order of £4000 most of which, it is believed, came from the
7th Earl of Carlisle. The work commenced at the end of 1858, with the site
levelling and foundation work being undertaken by Castle Howard labour. The
foundation stone was laid by the Earl of Carlisle on Monday 14th March 1859.

The first service was held in the church on Sunday20th May 1860. This was
by special licence as the building had not yet been completedand remained so
for a further five years. Consecration took place on Tuesday 18th April 1865.

St. John's Church remained a 'Chapel of Ease' to St. Martin's Church in Bulmer
until the formation of the Benefice of Bulmer with Dalby, Terrington and Welburn
on 12th February 1986.


Data transcribed by
Jack Parry.
from photography by Colin Hinson