CATTERICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"CATTERICK, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, in the same wapentake as Richmond, five miles e.s.e. from that town ; situate one mile from the banks of the Swale, on the great northern road communicating with Leeds, York, and London. It is a place of high antiquity, having been a station of the Romans, called Cataractanum ; and was burnt by Edward, King of Northumberland, in 769. The foundation of its ancient castle is still to be seen, as are the traces of a Roman amphitheatre and circus. The church, which is dedicated to St. Ann, is an ancient edifice: the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the crown ; the present incumbent is the Rev. A.J. Scott. In this vicinity is Brough hall, the elegant seat of Sir Henry Lawson, Bart. The parish contained, at the last census, 2,921 inhabitants, and the township 683 of that number.
Please see Richmond Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]