Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BOLTON UPON SWALE. Church dedication: ST. MARY.
Area, 500 acres. Gilling East wapentake. -Population, 963 ; Church-room, No return ; Net value, £118.
Patron, the Vicar of Catterick.
There is no glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1659.
Scorton School. Founded by Leo Robinson, Esq., by will, 10th March 1720. £20 per annum to be paid to the Curate, for a sermon every Sunday afternoon and on every holiday ; and £10 per annum for apprenticing boys. Residue of income for freely instructing all such boys as shall be sent, in the Latin or Greek tongues. Endowment ; rent of 130A. 3a. 27p. of land, and dividends on £350 three per cent. consols. About twelve scholars, who pay for all instruction except Latin. A few poor boys are taught reading and writing. Income; about £200 per annum.
Duffield and Bruce's rents-charge. £4 and £2 a year.
William Brown's rent charge, by deed, 1695. £2. 8s. per annum. -Vide 6th Report, page 606.
Not noticed by Torre. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bodeltune), pages 39, &c. Mon. Angl., vol. iii. page 532. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 25.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.