Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: CATTERICK. Church dedication: ST. ANNE. Church type: Vicarage in charge.
Area, 21,180 acres. -Hang East wapentake. -Population, 2,681 *1; Church-room, 300; Net value, £678. This Church was appropriated to the Abbey of St. Mary's, in York, in Sept. 1224.
Patron, the Crown.
Valued in the King's Books, at £25. 2s. 1d. per annum.
Inclosure Acts were passed 6th and 46th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1653.
Hospital and School. Founded by the Rev. Michael Syddall, formerly Vicar of Catterick, by will, 3rd January 1658. Six widows have rooms and £3.6s. 8d. per annum each, as the allowance is small, they also receive parochial relief. There are sixteen free scholars in the school ; only English is now taught. Endowment ; 20a. 3r. 1p. of land. -Vide 6th Report, page 618.
Torre's MS., page 1543. Nonae Roll, page 237. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Catrice), page 101. Mon. Angl., vol. iii. page 573. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 18. Raine's Church of Catterick. Bodleian MS., Nos. 5078 and 5101.
*1 Viz. Appleton, 83 ; Brough, 78 ; Catterick, 683 ; Colburne, 163 ; Hipswell and St. Martin's, 293; Kellerby, 62; Scotton, 138; Tunstall, 312; Hudswell, 291; Ellerton upon Swale, 147; Kiplin, 103; Scorton, 492; Uckerby, 50; Whitwell, 86. >Returned in 1834, at 1,219, excluding the the Chapelries.
The Hospital of St. Giles, at Catterick, is mentioned temp. Henry III.
Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 780.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.