Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HIPSWELL. Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.
Area, 2;290 acres. Hang East wapentake. -Population, 293 *1; Church-room, 260; Net value, £88.
Patron, the Vicar of Catterick.
An Inclosure Act was passed 47th Geo. III.
There is no glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1665.
Corkin's Charity, 1757. Interest of £100 towards a free school.
Christopher Plows's, 1665. Rent of 18 acres of land : applied for apprenticing children and relieving widows.
Lost Charities. -Ann Darcy's, 1709 ; 10s. to the Curate as an augmentation. Lady Wandesford, by will, 28th Sept. 1713 ; interest of £50, of which £1. 1s. 6d. was to be paid to the Minister, the remainder to the poor. -Vide 6th Report, page 621.
Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Hipplewelley), page 104. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. page 42.
*1 Returned in 1834, at 560.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.