[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CLEASBY, a parish in the wap of Gilling East; 3 miles W. of Darlington. The church is a very ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ripon, incumbent the Rev. William Downill Waddilove. Pop. 147.
In this obscure village was born in 1650, Dr. John Robinson, a distinguished prelate and statesman. He was educated at Oriel College, Oxford. In 1710 he was preferred to the bishopric of Bristol, and while in that situation plenipotentiary at the treaty of Utrecht; in 1714 translated to the see of London, which he held till April 1723, when he died at Fulham. At this place of his nativity, he built the Chapel, Parsonage house, and added a school. The latter is endowed with 16 acres of land, valued at 20 or 22L. per annum for teaching 6 boys, the Rev. Richard Waistell master, and officiating curate."
- Here is a photograph of St. Peter's Church, Cleasby.
- Transcript of the entry for Cleasby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Cleasby.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cleasby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ250130 (Lat/Lon: 54.511695, -1.61538), Cleasby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: