CLEASBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"CLEASBY, a parish, in the wapentake of East Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles W. of Darlington, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the river Tees. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £188, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is a stone edifice rebuilt by Dr. John Robinson, Bishop of London, and one of the plenipotentiaries at the Treaty of Utrecht; he likewise endowed a school for educating six boys, and rebuilt the parsonage-house. The charities produce £11 per annum. J. C. Backhouse, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013