[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"COLD KIRBY, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth; 5 miles W. of Helmsley. The Church is an ancient edifice (see Churches for photograph), in the diocese of Chester; the living is a donative in the patronage of Thomas Duncombe, Esq. of which the Rev. George Dixon, is curate. Population l85."
"HAMBLETON HOUSE, in the township and parish of Cold Kirby; ¾ mile SW. of Cold Kirby, 7 miles from Thirsk and Helmsley, 14 from Northallerton; celebrated as a training-ground for Race-Horses."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Cold Kirby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cold Kirby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE533845 (Lat/Lon: 54.25341, -1.183414), Cold Kirby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-1918 Memorial Plaque in Cold Kirby Church porch.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: