The Ancient Parish of COWESBY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"COWESBY, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth; 7 miles NNE. of Thirsk. The church, peculiar, is an ancient edifice and a rectory, dedicated to St. Michael, in the deanry of Cleveland, and in the patronage of Thomas Alston, Esq. incumbent the Rev. Vere John Alston. Pop. 91."
"KEPWICK, in the parishes of Leake, Cowesby, and Over-Silton, and wapentake of Birdforth; 1¾ miles SE. of Over Silton, 8 miles NNE. of Thirsk. Pop. 170."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Cowesby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Cowesby.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cowesby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE466898 (Lat/Lon: 54.301691, -1.285417), Cowesby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: