Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4


If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.



Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: COXWOLD.     Church dedication: SAINT MICHAEL.     Church type: Unaugmented perpetual Curacy.

Area, 14,590 acres. Birdforth wapentake. -Population, 1,380 *2; Church-room, 374 *3; Net value, £351: The Prior of Newburgh held in Coxwold one carucate and two oxgangs of land, in frankalmoigne.

And Thomas de Kokvill held three carucates of Roger de Mowbray, and he of the King in capite, paying fine to the wapentake 2s.

Moreover this town, together with Helneston and Everesley, answered for one knight's fee.

Thornton-on-the-Hill was held by Roger de Mowbray, together with Baxeby, for the fourth part of a knight's fee, and contained three carucates of land, which John Deyvill held of the Lords Mowbray, by the rent of 3s.

Everesley contains three carucates, held by Thomas de Colevill of Roger de Mowbray, who held them of the King in capite, by the rent of 2s.

This Church, with its Chapels of Kilburn, Thirkleby, and Silton, was given by Roger de Mowbray to the Abbey of Byland, to which it was appropriated, but no Vicarage was ordained in this Church.

Patrons and impropriators, Trinity College, Cambridge, who used to include the presentation in their lease to Earl Falconberg.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, with the Chapel of Scilton, at £59. 2s. 8d.; and in his new taxation, at £20. 16s. per annum.

" The tithes of the parish of Coxwold are impropriate to Trinity College, Cambridge, who lease the tithes to Lord Viscount Fauconberg, and oblige him to find a Curate ; as an augmentation to whose small salary the late Earl Fauconberg did settle the glebe and tithes of the parish of Raskelfe, which he held by lease for lives of the Bishop of Chester. He did also erect an hospital for ten men, with a Chapel in it for prayers, to be read daily, according to the Liturgy of the Church of England, and endowed it with £59 per annum, and likewise gave a rent charge of £20 per annum for ever, to be distributed among the poor of the parish of Coxwold. There is likewise another hospital for women, erected by his grandfather, Thomas Lord Viscount Fauconberg, endowed with £21 per annum ; and a free school, built by Sir John Hart, formerly Alderman and twice Lord Mayor of London, and endowed with a salary for master and usher of £40 per annum." -Notitia Pa-rochialis, No. 1053.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as fit for residence ; but in 1834, returned, " No glebe house."

The Register Books commence in 1583.

Lord Fauconberg's charity, by will (date not given). Fee farm rent of £49. 2s. 6d., lying within the manor of Sigston, chargeable with the payment of £20 for ever to the poor of the parish of Coxwold ; and the sum of £16 per annum is regularly paid by Sir Thomas Frankland, hart., on account of this donation, £4 per annum being deducted for land-tax.

Poor Lands. These consist of an estate, containing 16A. of land, in the township of Husthwaite, let, at the time of the Report, for £24 per annum. -The Commissioners reported, that it was supposed this estate was given to the poor of Coxwold by one of the Fauconberg family, but that no deeds relative to it had been found.

Easingwold Closes. These consist of 7a. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £10 per annum, which was conveyed by deed, dated 23d July 1743, by Ralph Douglas ; in consideration of £105, he conveyed to the Rev. Henry Thompson and ten others thesaid closes, upon trust to distribute the rents among poor and needy persons, inhabitants of or belonging to Coxwold, at the discretion of a majority of the parishioners assembled in vestry. -The Commissioners reported, that none of the trustees named in the deed were, at the time of their Report, living, and that it was not known which of them was the survivor.

Timber Money. This consists of the sum of £25, which, reported the Commissioners, was understood to have arisen from the sale of timber upon the Poor's Land, and was secured by deed, dated 29th July 1794, upon the tolls of the turnpike-road from Northallerton to York, and the interest thereof (£1. 5s. per annum) regularly received at Christmas, which, together with the annual income of the above charities, amounting to £51. 12s. 6d., of which sum £4 is applied towards apprenticing children, and the residue, with the sacrament-money at Christmas and Whitsuntide, by and at the discretion of the minister and churchwardens, to poor not receiving parish relief, in sums from 3s. to 9s. each.

Sir John Harte's Charity School, founded by will, dated 3rd January 1603, and proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (date not given). Endowment : rent charge of £36. 13s. 4d. per annum, for and to be distributed as follows : -To the master, £20 for his pains, and 26s. 8d. for his livery; to the usher, £10 for his pains, and 13s. 4d. for his livery ; and to the schoolmaster, £2. 13s. 4d. per annum, for teaching the pettyes, or young children, to read English ; to a preacher, for three sermons every year, 20s. per annum ; and to the visitors of the said free school, for drinking or repast, 20s. per annum ; and the residue for repairing the school-house.

The Commissioners reported, that certainly the will does not explicitly say whether or not this was founded as a grammar school, but they reasonably inferred that it was established and intended for that purpose, from the separate provisions made by the will for teaching the younger children English, and that the school had been always kept up, and had for a considerable time stood in high repute as a grammar school ; that the then master, the Rev. Thomas Newton, was appointed in 1806, but who appointed an usher as schoolmaster, being the assistant Curate, who receives the payments due to the master and usher, being £32 per annum, which were paid to him independent of his salary as assistant Curate ; that the usher was allowed by Mr. Newton to instruct as free scholars those sent to be taught English only, and writing and accounts, for 5s. per quarter each boy ; and that, at the time of their Report, there were nine free scholars, of whom only two were instructed in Latin, and that the £2. 13s. 4d. for teaching poor children was paid to the schoolmaster, who instructed three children in reading, nominated by Mr. Newton ; and that the other payments, viz., £1 for the visiters, did not appear to be known, and that the 20s. for sermons had only been received for the five years preceding their Report, when it was received by Mr. Newton.

Poor Men's Hospital, founded by Thomas Earl of Fauconberg, by deed, dated 27th September 1696, for poor, aged, and impotent men. £40 for providing for ten poor men blue gowns or coats once in two years, with badges thereon of the said Earl's crest, and the residue of the said £40 to be distributed equally amongst the said poor men, at the Feast of Pentecost and St. Martin the Bishop in winter; and £5 for coals and fuel for the poor men equally ; and 40s. to some person, to be nominated, for reading prayers and divine service in the Chapel or room in the middle of the hospital every day in the week, except the Lord's day ; and the residue for the repairs of the hospital ; and that a woman be nominated to attend to the poor men in the hospital, or be useful therein, if it should be thought requisite ; and in case of the death of any one of them, then to have and be entitled to the same provisions which the person so dying held. Endowment : rent charge of £59 per annum.

The Commissioners reported, that there was, at the time of the Report, nine men and one woman belonging to the hospital ; that only two of them resided therein, the others being permitted to live at home with their families ; that £5, as directed by the endowment, and £2, formerly paid to the person who read prayers in the Chapel, were then laid out in the purchase of coals, of which one chaldron was given to each of the alms-people resident in the hospital, and the residue among the out-pensioners ; and that there was a balance in hand, at the time of their Report, of £25 per annum.

The Commissioners further reported, that there appeared to have been formerly an hospital for women, but which seemed to have fallen to decay, and had not existed since, or a short time, before 1790; that it was mentioned in the Parliamentary Returns in 1786, and appeared to have consisted of an hospital for eight poor women, with annual stipends of 40s. each, eight bushels of coals to each yearly, and five yards of cloth once in two years ; and that they had not ascertained the particulars of the endowment, further than the former was stated to be a rent charge, and that they had found no documentary evidence from whence the origin of this hospital could be discovered. -Vide 4th Report, page 390, and 6th Report, page 593.

Post town: Easingwold.

Torre's MS., page 55. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 41. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Hogram), pages 55. 62 ; (Begeland), 157 ; (Cucualt), 7. 196; (Eureslage), 196. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 310. 321. Burton's Monasticon, page 332. Nonae Roll, page 236. Bodleian MS., No. 5101. Blount's Jocular Tenures, page 92. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 382. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 100.

*1 Torre places this parish in Rydall Deanery.

*2 Viz. Angram Grange, 28 ; Birdforth, 35 ; Byland cum Membris, 365 ; Coxwold, 375 ; Newburgh with Morton, extra-parochial, 104 ; Oulston, 215 ; Thornton with Baxley, 67 ; Wilden Grange, 27 ; and Yearsley, 164. -In 1834, the population, exclusive of the Chapelries, was returned at 980.

*3 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 500.

Other information:
NEWBURGH. -(Parish of Coxwold.) -An Abbey of Austin Canons, founded A.D. 1145 by Roger de Mowbray.

Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 317.

From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.