[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CRAMBE, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 6 miles SW. of Malton. Here is a church dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), the living is a vicarage of which the Archbishop of York is the patron, and the Rev. John Cleaver, D. D. incumbent. Population, 152."
"BARTON LE WILLOWS, in the parish of Crambe, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1¾ miles SW. of Crambe, 8 miles SW. of Malton. Here is a Methodist chapel. Pop. 188."
"SPITTLE BRIDGE INN, in the parish of Crambe, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1¾ miles W. of Crambe, 7 miles SW. of Malton. This inn which forms a posting station, is kept by Mrs. Ann Wilkinson. (Actually, almost certainly Mrs. Ann Atkinson [Catherine Atkinson 2015])."
"WHITWELL ON THE HILL, in the parish of Crambe, and wapentake of Bulmer; ¾ mile NW. of Crambe, 6 miles SW. of Malton. This village takes its name from a singular well, the water of which is nearly the colour of milk. Pop. 182.
The inhabitants generally attend Crambe church, they also marry, bury, and baptize there."
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Crambe to another place.
- Whitwell-on-the-Hill, (a township in this parish) but was constituted a distinct parish after the erection of the church, in 1860. See Whitwell on the Hill Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE734649 (Lat/Lon: 54.074808, -0.879728), Crambe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)