Hide

Crambe

hide
Hide

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"CRAMBE, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 6 miles SW. of Malton. Here is a church dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), the living is a vicarage of which the Archbishop of York is the patron, and the Rev. John Cleaver, D. D. incumbent. Population, 152."


"BARTON LE WILLOWS, in the parish of Crambe, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1¾ miles SW. of Crambe, 8 miles SW. of Malton. Here is a Methodist chapel. Pop. 188."


"SPITTLE BRIDGE INN, in the parish of Crambe, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1¾ miles W. of Crambe, 7 miles SW. of Malton. This inn which forms a posting station, is kept by Mrs. Ann Wilkinson. (Actually, almost certainly Mrs. Ann Atkinson [Catherine Atkinson 2015])."


"WHITWELL ON THE HILL, in the parish of Crambe, and wapentake of Bulmer; ¾ mile NW. of Crambe, 6 miles SW. of Malton. This village takes its name from a singular well, the water of which is nearly the colour of milk. Pop. 182.

The inhabitants generally attend Crambe church, they also marry, bury, and baptize there."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
Hide
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

History

  • Whitwell-on-the-Hill, (a township in this parish) but was constituted a distinct parish after the erection of the church, in 1860. See Whitwell on the Hill Parish.
topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE734649 (Lat/Lon: 54.074808, -0.879728), Crambe which are provided by:

topup

Memorial Inscriptions

topup

Societies