Whitwell on the Hill, History transcription
Whitwell on the Hill, History transcription:The what to see in the Church from the portable plaque in St. John's Church, Whitwell on the Hill.
We are so lucky to have a church built and paid for by the resident of Whitwell Hall in 1858 - Lady Louisa Lechmere after her marriage to Sir Edmund Lechmere. Before this a chapel had been created in the Coach House for use by Whitwell residents.
The church was consecrated by the Archbishop of York in August 1860 and afterwards a grand reception was held for the tenants of the estate. The famous architect was G.E. Street.
The lectern - carved in the form of a Pelican, on whose outstretched wings, the Bible is placed. The bird is pecking at her breast to feed her young with her own blood - a reference to our Saviour who shed His blood for mankind.
The reredos below the east window - is an exquisite work of art Mansfield stone with carved arcades on either side; a Greek cross of dark red Langedoc marble; over this a crown of thorns of pink alabaster. Many other marbles are used: Galway Green, Devonshire Red, Rouge royal, and Derbyshire spars.
The East Window - the centre light represents the Crucifixion - the side lights; The Blessed Virgin Mary and the two Marys, the otherside ST John the Apostle, Joseph of Arimathea, and a Roman centurian.
The Pulpit - of Caen stone inlaid with richly coloured marbles
The Font - behind the front door Of Caen stone on a base of red Mansfield stone, supported by four Derbyshire marble coloumns.
The Bells six very rich toned - by Messrs. Warner of London.
Chancel windows - the north represents the Annunciation, the scene of the Nativity in the manger in Bethlehem. The south shows the Resurection and the Ascension.
The West window - the four figures of the Evangelists.
Monuments at the side of the east window left the Blessed Virgin Mary and St John on the right side.
Data transcribed by
from photography by Colin Hinson