[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CRATHORNE, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 4 miles SSE. of Yarm. The church, which is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), is an ancient plain structure; Patron, the Hon. Mrs Cockayne. In the chancel is an effigy of a knight cumbent in armour cross-legged, with the arms of Crathorne on his shield. This, it is conjectured, is the monument of Sir William Crathorne, Knight, who lived A. D. 1322, near which is a mural monument, to the memory of Ralph Crathorne, Lord of Crathorne. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Lord Viscount Cullen. Here is likewise a Catholic chapel, and a place of worship for the Primitive Methodists. A mineral spring has been discovered about half a mile from this place. The village consists of about sixty-six houses pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Leven. Pop. 330.
It is the seat of George Crathorne, Esq. lineally descended from a family that have been resident here ever since the conquest, and bore as a crest, a Crake or Crow. -Graves."
- Transcript of the entry for Crathorne in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Crathorne.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Crathorne to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ443075 (Lat/Lon: 54.460956, -1.318128), Crathorne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: