CRAYKE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"CRAYKE, a parish, in the wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2½ miles N.E. of Easingwold, its post town, and 5½ from the Alne station. The village is situated on a hill, on the summit of which stand the remains of a Norman castle, commanding some beautiful views. This castle is supposed by some antiquaries to have belonged to the Northumbrian kings. The parish is large, and was, until recently, included in the county of Durham. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is a stone edifice, partly in the Gothic style, and contains a font, and some fine specimens of stained-glass. The charities amount to £32 per annum. The Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists have each a chapel. There are schools for both sexes. There are several chalybeate springs at the base of the hill. W. Waite, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013