Croft On Tees
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CROFT ON TEES, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire (a seat of William Chaytor, Esq.) ; 4 miles S. of Darlington. The church which is dedicated to St. Peter, is a very ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the king, of which the Rev. James Dalton, is the incumbent. In the church is an altar-tomb to one of the Milbanks, of Halnaby, and another to the Clavereux, ancestors of the Chaytors. Population 368." (There is further information for Croft On Tees).
"BORNESSES, in the parish of Croft on Tees, and wapentake of Gilling East; 7 miles NE. of Richmond."
"DALTON ON TEES, in the parish of Croft on Tees, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of St. Peter; 1 mile SE. of Croft on Tees, 10 miles NE. of Richmond. Pop. 167."
"HALNABY, in the parish of Croft on Tees, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2½ miles SW. of Croft on Tees, 7 miles NE. of Richmond. The residence of John Peniston Milbanke, Esq. of Halnaby hall."
"JOLBY, (now Jolby Manor), a farm house and mill, in the township and parish of Croft on Tees; 2 miles W. of Croft on Tees, 3 from Darlington, (Dur.)"
"PLANTATION, a public house in the township of Dalton, and parish of Croft on Tees; 6 miles from Darlington, (Dur.) 10 from Northallerton."
"STAPLETON, in the parishes of Stanwick Saint John and Croft on Tees, and waps. of Gilling East and West; 2¼ miles NW. of Croft on Tees, 11 miles NE. of Richmond. Pop. 113."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Croft on Tees in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Croft on Tees.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Croft On Tees to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ289098 (Lat/Lon: 54.482731, -1.555457), Croft On Tees which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: