CROFT ON TEES: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"CROFT ON TEES, a parish partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, but chiefly in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding, of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Croft, Dalton upon Tees, and part of Stapleton, the remaining portion of the last being in the parish of St. John Stanwick, and containing 647 inhabitants, of which number, 367 are in the. township of Croft, 3 miles S. from Darlington. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £12. 8. 4;, and in the. patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, exhibits specimens of the various styles of English architecture. The village is situated on the banks of the Tees, half a mile to the west of which is a sulphureous mineral spring, the water of which is used both for drinking and bathing: commodious baths were fitted up about fifteen years ago. Certain lands are held in this place by the owner presenting on the bridge, at the coming of every new bishop of Durham, an old sword, pronouncing a legendary address, and delivering the sword to the bishop, who returns it immediately. A charity school, in which twenty-five children are instructed, is supported by a small bequest from Lady Crew, and by voluntary contributions, the whole amounting to about £25 per annum."
"DALTON UPON TEES, a township in the parish of CROFT ON TEES, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, and partly in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S. from Darlington, containing 167 inhabitants."
"STAPLETON, a township in the parishes of STANWICK SAINT JOHN, and CROFT ON TEES, eastern division, of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Darlington, containing 113 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]