The Ancient Parish of DALBY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"DALBY, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, 7 miles ENE. of Easingwold. Here is a church, dedicated to St. Mary; the living is a rectory, in the gift of Mrs. Leybourne, of which the Rev. Benjamin Lumley is incumbent. Mrs. Leybourne resides here. Pop, including Skewsby. 169."
"NORTH INGS, 2 farm houses in the parishes of Sheriff Hutton and Dalby, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1 mile SE. of Dalby, 8 miles E. of Easingwold."
"SKEWSBY, in the parish of Dalby, and wapentake of Bulmer; ¾ mile W. of Dalby, 7 miles ENE. of Easingwold. Population included with Dalby."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Dalby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Dalby.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dalby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE638712 (Lat/Lon: 54.132697, -1.025092), Dalby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Memorial Plaque in St. Peter's Church, Dalby.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: