[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"DANBY WISKE, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles NW. of Northallerton. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the incumbent Rev. William Cust. Pop. 328."
"CATGILL HALL, a farm house in the township and parish of Danby-Wiske; 3½ miles from Northallerton."
"LITTLE DANBY, a farm house in the township of Yafforth, and parish of Danby- Wiske; 1½ miles SSE. of Danby Wiske, 3 miles from Northallerton."
"STREETLAM, in the parish of Danby Wiske, wapentake of Gilling East; 1½ miles W. of Danby Wiske, 4 miles NW. of Northallerton. Here is the Ox Inn, kept by Mr. Luke Harrison."
"YAFFORTH, in the parish of Danby Wiske, wapentake of Gilling East, & liberty of Richmondshire; 2½ miles S. of Danby Wiske, 1½ miles W. of Northallerton. Population, 149."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Garry Stockdill's Yorksview website contains a description and photographs of Danby Wiske.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Danby Wiske to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE336986 (Lat/Lon: 54.381792, -1.484184), Danby Wiske which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Memorial Plaque in the Parish Church, Danby Wiske.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: