Hide

Downholme

hide
Hide

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"DOWNHOLME, (or Downe Holme), a parish in the wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles E. of Reeth. The church is an ancient Gothic structure (see Churches for photograph), the living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of John Hutton, Esq. of which the Rev. James Tate, A.M. is the incumbent. Pop. 113."


"ELLERTON, in the parish of Downholme, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles W. of Downholme, 3 miles SE. of Reeth. Pop. 47.

Here was a small Priory of Cistercian Nuns, founded, it is supposed, by Warnerus, Chief Steward to the Earl of Richmond, in the time of Henry II. it was surrendered, 26th Henry VIII. by Johanna the last prioress, and was valued at 15L. 10s. 6d. clear. -Burton. It was situated on the south banks of the Swale, a little below the Priory of Marrick, very little of which now remains. The Shell of the Church is entire."


"STAINTON, in the parish of Downholme wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile SW. of Downholme, 4 miles N. of Leyburn. Pop. 54."


"WALBURN, a small hamlet in the parish of Downholme, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1¼ miles SSE. of Downholme, 4 miles N. of Leyburn. Pop. 37."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
Hide
topup

Census

  • Please see Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
    • Downholme
      • 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891, 1901
    • Ellerton Abbey
      • 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891, 1901
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE113978 (Lat/Lon: 54.375581, -1.827552), Downholme which are provided by:

topup

Memorial Inscriptions

topup

Societies