[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"EASBY, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile E. of Richmond, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Swale. The parish church here is dedicated to St. Agatha (see Churches for photograph). The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the King, of which the Rev. Caleb Readshaw, M. A. is incumbent. The principal inhabitants of the village are Robert Jaques, Esq. Abbey house, and Captain James Jackson. Pop. 105." (There is further information for Easby).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St Agatha's Church, Easby. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Paul's Church, Brompton On Swale. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Methodist Church, Brompton On Swale. (The Church's website is here.)
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- St. Agatha's Church, Skeeby. (The Church's website is here.)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Transcript of the entry for Easby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Garry Stockdill's Yorksview website contains a description and a photograph of Easby.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Easby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ186004 (Lat/Lon: 54.398734, -1.715015), Easby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (NZ150037) Aske Moor (Farm)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: