The Ancient Parish of EASINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"EASINGTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 10 miles ENE. of Guisborough, gives name to a parish of considerable extent, stretching from North to South upwards of six miles, and about two miles broad, it comprehends the several manors of Easington, Boulby, and Liverton, all of which, according to Domesday survey, were anciently within the soke of the manor of Lofthouse, held in the Conqueror's time by Hugh, Earl of Chester, and was then uncultivated, except Easington, in which there was one villain, with one plough. a church without a minister, and a wood, with a pasturage for cattle one mile long and half a mile broad. The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), the living a rectory, in the gift of the King, incumbent the Rev. Matthew Mappletoft, D. D. the Rev. James Metcalf, curate. Population, 507."
"BOULBY, in the parish of Easington, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1¼ miles ENE. of Easington, 11 miles NW. of Whitby." (There is further information for Boulby).
"GRINKLE PARK, (the seat of Robert Wharton Myddleton, Esq.) in the township and parish of Easington; 2 miles S. of Easington, 11 miles from Guisborough, 14 from Whitby."
"LIVERTON, in the parish of Easington, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2½ miles SW. of Easington, 8 miles ENE. of Guisborough. Population, 251.
It is an ancient chapelry dependent on the church of Easington. The chapel has parochial rights, but the inhabitants pay no acknowledgement to Easington. -Graves. Curate, Rev. James Metcalfe, of Easington."
"SCALING, in the parishes of Hinderwell and Easington, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2¾ miles S. of Easington, 10 miles E. of Guisborough."
"SCALING DAM, a public house in the parish of Easington, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 3¼ miles S. of Easington, 10 miles E. of Guisborough, & 11 W. of Whitby, situated on the high road leading from Guisborough to Whitby."
"UPTON, 2 farm houses in the parish of Easington, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; ¾ mile NNW. of Easington."
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Easington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ744180 (Lat/Lon: 54.551789, -0.851237), Easington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: