The Ancient Parish of EASINGWOLD
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"EASINGWOLD, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 10 miles from Thirsk, 10 from Boroughbridge, and 13 from York, is a small market town, and, from its inland situation, without any navigable communication, has no great trade, except in bacon and butter, of which considerable quantities are sent to York, and forwarded by water to London. The church is dedicated to St. John (see Churches for photograph). The weekly market is on Friday. Fairs, July 6, September 26 for cattle and sheep. Principal Inns, Rose and Crown, and New-Inn. Population, 1912.
The church, which is dedicated to St. John, is pleasantly situated on an eminence above the town, commands a most extensive and delightful prospect over the ancient forest of Galtres, and the vale of Mowbray, with the venerable and stately cathedral of York in full view. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, (for this turn.)
In the church is deposited a large coffin, made of oak, and secured at the joints with plates of iron, which (it is said) was used by the inhabitants in carrying dead bodies to the grave, previous to the introduction of coffins for interment, and on their arrival at the place of burial, the corpse was carefully taken out of this common coffin, and laid in the grave, with no other covering than the shroud. Here is likewise a chapel for the Methodists, another for the Calvinists, and one for the Primitive Methodists. The poor of this town enjoy the benefit of several excellent charities, the principal of which is a free school, endowed by Mrs. Westerman, a native of Easingwold, who, by her will, bearing date 1781, bequeathed the suns of £2500. 4 percent. bank annuities, for establishing a charity school in Easingwold. In which school are to be taught to thirty boys Latin, the English grammar, reading, writing, arithmetic, and book-keeping; and thirty girls reading, writing, and arithmetic; also another school, with a small endowment, free for ten boys of the township, and two Sunday schools, belonging to the Methodists. Here are several chalybeate springs, the principal of which supplies the reservoir of a neat little bathing house."
"HAWKHILL FARM, a farm house in the township and parish of Easingwold; 1½ miles S. of Easingwold."
"RASKELF, in the parish of Easingwold, and wapentake of Bulmer; 2½ miles WNW. of Easingwold. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), which is in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester, and of which the Rev. F. Blackburn. is incumbent, has a wooden steeple, and the whole pile is rapidly hastening to ruin. Pop. 440.
The windows of this church, exhibit in rich painted glass the arms, of Nevile, Lord Dacre, Scropes of Masham and Bolton, &c.
In the year 1623, Ralph Reynard and Mark Dun were tried for the murder of a respectable yeoman, of the name of Fletcher, who lived at or near this village they were both convicted and executed, together with the wife of Fletcher, who was proved to have had a share in the horrid transaction."
"SPRING HOUSE, a farm house in the township and parish of Easingwold; 3½ miles SSE. of Easingwold."
"WHITE HOUSES, 2 p.h. in the township and parish of Easingwold; 1½ miles WNW. of Easingwold."
- Monumental Inscriptions for Easingwold Church and Churchyard, as recorded in 1911, are included on the City of York & District Family History Society web-site.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. John's and All Saints Church, Easingwold.
- The Methodist Church, Easingwold. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Roman Catholic Church of St. John the Evangelist, Easingwold.
- St. Mary's Church, Raskelf.
- The ex-Wesleyan Chapel, Raskelf, built 1835, later a Methodist church, now dis-used.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Easingwold to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE530697 (Lat/Lon: 54.120442, -1.190619), Easingwold which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: