EASINGWOLD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"EASINGWOLD, is a market-town and township in the parish of its name, & wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding, 208 miles from London, and 13 n. by w. from York. The town is neat, though ancient; but, from the circumstance of its inland situation, without any navigable communication, its trade is not very considerable, except in the articles of bacon and butter, of which large quantities are sent from hence to York, and much reach the London market. The town also derives some benefit from its being a thoroughfare on the high road from London to Edinburgh; and for the accommodation of travellers, there are two excellent inns. George Wombwell, Esq. of Newborough Park, in this vicinity, is lord of the manor, and holds a court leet and baron, generally in the months of May and October. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to All Saints, chapels for independents, and primitive & Wesleyan methodists, & a Roman catholic chapel: the last mentioned, a very neat edifice, was erected by subscription, and opened for divine service for the first time, 21st of November, 1833. The Rev. Richard Tyrer is the priest. The living of Easingwold is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. Here are two free schools, one founded in 1781, by Mrs. Eleanor Westerman, for boys and girls, well endowed, and another, with a smaller endowment, for ten boys; besides which, there are Sunday schools in the parish. The country in this part is fertile, and agriculture prevails; dairying is also profitable, and the scenery in the neighbourhood is of a pleasing character, particularly that obtained from the eminence on which the church is seated, which commands an extensive view of the ancient Forest of Galtres, and the Vale of Mowbray. The market-day is on Friday; and the fairs are April 2nd, July 6th, and September 26th, for horses and cattle. The population of the parish, including the chapelry of RASKELF, in 1821, was 2,352, and in 1831, 2,381, of which last number 1,922 were returned for the township, being an increase of only 10 since the census of 1821."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]