EASINGWOLD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"EASINGWOLD, a parish in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the market-town of Easingwold, and the chapelry of Raskelf, and containing 2352 inhabitants, of which number, 1912 are in the town of Easingwold, 13 miles N.N.W. from York, and 208 N.N.W. from London. The town, which is irregularly built, is, from its inland situation, and the want of navigable conveyance, precluded from the advantages of trade. Considerable quantities of bacon and butter are sent from this place to York, whence the articles are forwarded to London by water; and the town derives some benefit from its being a thoroughfare on the high road from London to Edinburgh. The market is on Friday: the fairs are, July 6th and September 26th, for cattle and sheep. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the Icing's books at £12. 11. Of., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is situated on an eminence above the town, and commands an extensive view of the ancient forest of Galtres, and the vale of Mowbray. There are places of worship for Independents, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. A free school was founded in 1781, by Mrs. Eleanor Westerman, who endowed it with £2500 reduced annuities, for the instruction of boys in English grammar, Latin, writing, arithmetic, and book-keeping; and of girls, in reading, writing, and arithmetic; there are thirty boys and girls in this school, who are nominated by the vicar, churchwardens, and overseers of the parish, as trustees. There is another school, with a small endowment, for ten boys; and Sunday schools are supported by subscription. In the neighbourhood are some small chalybeate springs issuing from the high grounds, and indicating the existence of coal or iron-stone, but none has yet been discovered of sufficient consequence to encourage any enterprise: the principal of these springs supplies a small bathing-house."
"RASKELF, a chapelry in the parish of EASINGWOLD, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles W.N.W. from Easingwold, containing 440 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. There are two trifling endowments-, applied for teaching six poor children."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]