The Ancient Parish of EAST COWTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"EAST COWTON, (or Long Cowton) a parish in the wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 8 miles NNW. of Northallerton. The parish church at this place is dedicated to St. James, the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of St. John's hospital, in Kirkby Ravensworth; incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Jackson. Here is a free school, allowed £27. per annum by the Kirby Hill free school. Pop. 338."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, East Cowton. An extension has been added since this photograph was taken. (With short history).
- Transcript of the entry for East Cowton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of East Cowton.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Cowton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ310032 (Lat/Lon: 54.423296, -1.523735), East Cowton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-1918 War Memorial in East Cowton Churchyard.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: