Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: EAST WITTON. Church dedication: ST. ELLA. Church type: Augmented Vicarage in charge.
Area, 7,730 acres. Hang West wapentake. -Population, 687 *1; Church-room, 250; Net value, £93.
Given to the Abbey of Jervaulx, by Peter Botevell, and appropriated thereto 6th Kal. Sept. 1301, and a Vicarage ordained.
Patron and impropriator, the Marquis of Ailesbury.
Valued in the King's Books, at £5. 3s. 6d.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1671. Charities. -Elizabeth Barnett's charity. Interest of £20, for teaching poor children.
Henry Simpson's. Interest of £5.
Thomas Langdale's charity. Interest of £5. Lost.
John Ballan's charity. Interest of £10. Lost.
Barbara Skaife's charity, by will, in 1726. 40s. per annum in clothing.
Thomas Skaife's charity, by will, in £178. 40s., for apprenticing poor children. -Vide 7th Report, page 709.
Torre's MS., page 1573. Nonae Roll, page 238. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Witon), page 107. 110. 112. Mon. Angl., vol. v. pages 568. 577, 578. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. 1. page 420.
*1 Viz. East Witton Within, 395 ; East Witton Without, 292.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.