Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades for EAST WITTON in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
EAST WITTON WITHIN TOWNSHIP.
- Post Office at Miss Dinsdale's. Letters arrive via Bedale at 9-25 a.m., and are despatched at 3-30 p.m. No arrival or despatch on Sundays. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office is at Middleham.
Miscellany of trades
- Birtwistle Thomas, gamekeeper
- Bucktin Christopher, blacksmith
- Chapel-of-Ease, Colsterdale - Sundays, service, 3 p.m.
- Craggs William, cartwright
- Crowe Richard, cowkeeper
- Fletcher Thomas, shoemaker and sexton
- Frith Henry, schoolmaster and parish clerk
- Hammond Thomas, gamekeeper
- Harker Thomas, shopkeeper
- Hutchinson Joe, blacksmith
- Jervaulx & District Horticultural Society - S. Cunliffe Lister, Esq., president; H. Christie, Esq., vice-president; John Maughan and John Rennie, hon. secs.
- Kendray Paul, jun., shopkeeper
- Mason Charles, apartments
- Metcalf William, vict., Blue Lion
- Mood Walter, butcher
- Moor Mrs. Ann & Son (Matt. Hy.), cowkeepers
- Parish Church - Sundays, service, 10-30 a.m. and 6-30 p.m.
- Peacock Richard, stonemason
- Raper Mrs. Mary Jane & Son (John), tailors and outfitters
- Raper Thomas, architect, builder, and surveyor
- Reading Room; Henry Frith, hon. sec.
- Rennie John, seedsman and Temperance Hotel
- Ryder Mr. John
- Ryder Joseph, assistant overseer
- Shields Mrs. Eliza & Son (Joseph), cowkeepers
- Spence Thomas Urwin, shoemaker
- Spence Thomas, joiner and builder
- Towler Mrs. Elizabeth, vict. and farmer, Foresters' Arms
- Wesleyan Chapel - Sundays, service, 2 p.m. and 6-30 p.m.
- Wilkie Rev. David, M.A., Oxon., The Vicarage
- Williamson Miss Susannah
- Barker Francis Croft, Grange farm
- Bradley William, Marwood
- Croft John, sen., Lowthorpe house
- Croft William & John, jun., Waterloo farm
- Dawson James Edwd. & Sons (John & Thos.), Braithwaite hall. Letters via Middleham.
- Lofthouse Mrs. Eliza
- Pease William, Fleet house; h Hutton Hang
- Pickard John, East Witton lodge
- Winn Mrs. Annie
- Winn F. (and corn miller), East Witton mill
EAST WITTON WITHOUT TOWNSHIP.
- Letters via Bedale.
Miscellany of trades
- Christie Hector, Esq., J.P., C.C. for the Settle Division of the West Riding County Council, Jervaulx abbey; Langcliffe place, near Settle; and Reform and Devonshire clubs
- Christie William Lorenzo, Esq., J.P. for the West Riding, Lieut. of the 2nd West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry, Jervaulx abbey; The Salisbury club, St. James' square
- Maughan John, land agent, capt. commanding A Company (Wensleydale) 1st Vol. Battalion (Princess of Wales' Own) Yorkshire Regt., Jervaux
- Rennie Thomas, gardener, Jervaulx
- Calvert James, High Newstead
- Croft Thomas, Sowden beck
- Croft William, Eelmire
- Hall William, Moor cote
- Jessop Andrew, Elm ing
- Maughan Frank, High Jervaulx
- Thompson Richard, Lane house
- Vayro William, Angram lodge
- Verity Watson, Hammer
- Waddington Exors. of Rt. T., Kilgram grange
- Watson James, Low Newstead (and Tranmire)
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.