FARLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.
Wapentake of Bulmer - Electoral Division of Stillington - Petty Sessional Division of Bulmer West - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Easingwold - Rural Deanery of Easingwold - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Farlington is a village, township, and parish, comprising 1,423 acres - according to a rearrangement of the boundaries, by which a portion of Marton was added in 1887. The rateable value is £1,692, and the population, in 1881, was 168. The soil is a variable mixture of sand, loam, and clay, on which wheat, barley, and beans are chiefly grown. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and owners of a portion of the township. The following have also estates here:- Harry Croft, Esq., Stillington Hall; Thomas and Alfred Andrews, Farlington; Mrs. John Radcliffe, Stearsby; James Booke, Osgoodby; Miss Blackburn, Farlington; William Wilson, Wheldrake; William Wilberforce; George Armitage, Esq., Pudsey, near Leeds; and Andrew James Brown, Sutton-on-the-Forest. There are, besides, several small freeholders.
This place, which contained three carucates and one oxgang of land, was held of the Nevilles by a family styled de Farlington; but the estate was subsequently divided, and passed through many hands. The name is supposed to signify the ton of the Feorlings - an Anglian clan or sept - which may probably have been settled here.
The village is small, and stands on the Farlington beck, a tributary of the Foss, six miles S.E. of Easingwold, 11 miles N. of York, and about 5½ from Flaxton station, on the York and Scarborough railway. About half-a-mile east of the village is a fine waterfall. The Church (St. Leonard) is a small ancient edifice of stone, in the Early English style, restored and partially rebuilt in 1887. It consists of nave only, with a small belfry containing two bells. The register dates from about the year 1600. The living, formerly a perpetual curacy, is now a vicarage, united with Marton, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and worth, singly, £100. The chapel of Farlington was given, with the mother church of Sheriff Hutton, probably by one of the Bulmers who were lords of Sheriff Hutton and Farlington, to the priory of Marton, and the monks were bound to provide a priest to celebrate here at their own cost.
There is a Wesleyan Chapel in the village, in which the parishioners have the right to hold a day school. There are 30 children on the books.
The poor have the interest of £135, left by various donors, and £100, left by William Raisbeck, in 1811. They have also 20s. a year out of Woodhouse Farm, left by Dr. Hey, of Leeds; and a ground rent of 5s. on a piece of land in the village, formerly waste, and belonging to the freeholders, who conveyed it to the late Robert Rowntree, on condition that the above sum be paid, yearly, to the poor of Farlington for ever.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.