[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FILEY, a parish-town and township, in the wapentakes of Pickering-Lythe and Dickering (E.R.); 8 miles from Scarborough, 9 from Bridlington, 18 from Driffield, 39 from York. The Church, (which with a farm house are the only parts in the North-Riding) is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Oswald, in the deanry of Dickering value p.r. 120L. Patron Humphrey Osbaldeston, Esq.
Filey is a small fishing town, south-east of Scarborough. It is particularly celebrated for its excellent fish and lobsters. The sands, which sweep round a beautifully curved bay of four or five miles in extent, are bounded on the north by a remarkable ridge of rocks projecting nearly half a mile into the sea, and distinguished by the name of Filey-Bridge, and thought to resemble the celebrated Mole of Tangier in Africa. Their southern limit is a stupendous range of chalk-cliffs, running onward to Flamborough Head."
"GRISTHORPE, in the parish of Filey, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 1¾ miles WNW. of Filey, 7 miles SE. of Scarborough. Population, 212."
"LEBBERSTON, in the parish of Filey, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 2½ miles WNW. of Filey, 4 miles N. of Hunmanby. The hall here is occupied by Mr. Robert Shepherd. Pop. 143.
Please see Filey in the East Riding for more information"
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Filey to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA115808 (Lat/Lon: 54.210817, -0.291816), Filey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: