[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FINGHALL, a parish in the wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 5 miles E. of Leyburn. A small village pleasantly situated on an eminence; the church is an ancient structure; dedicated to St. Andrew, in the deanry of Catterick, in the diocese of Chester, the living is a rectory and in the gift of the incumbent. Pop. 126."
"AKEBAR, in the parish of Finghall, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile NE. of Fingall, 5½ miles ENE. of Leyburn. Population, 43."
"CONSTABLE BURTON, in the parish of Finghall, wapentake of Hang West; and liberty of Richmondshire; (Burton Hall, the seat of the Rev. Christopher Wyville,), 1¼ miles NW. of Finghall, 4 miles ENE. of Leyburn. Pop. 204.
Burton-Constable is surrounded by one of the largest parks in Richmondshire, abounding with wood, and the house which is a modern magnificent fabric, with a portico to two fronts, to make room for which, a house, designed by Inigo Jones, is said to have been demolished by the presumption of an architect, in the owner's absence, and contrary to his instructions. --Whitaker."
"GRAZING NOOK, a farm house in the township and parish of Finghall; 1¼ miles ENE. of Finghall, 6 miles from Leyburn."
"HESSELTONE, a farm house in the township and parish of Finghall; 6 miles from Leyburn. Now (2007) marked on maps as Heselton Farm."
"HIGH HUTTON HANG, (and Low Hutton Hang) in the parish of Finghall, wapentake of Hang West, & liberty of Richmondshire ; 1 mile SW. of Finghall, 3 miles ENE. of Middleham. Pop. 25."
"RUSWICK, a farm house in the parish of Finghall, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile E. of Finghall, 4½ miles ENE. of Middleham."
"STUDDAH, a farm house in the parish of Finghall, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire ; 2¼ miles WNW. of Finghall, 2½ miles E. of Leyburn."
- A book about the Wensleydale Railway by Tony Eaton is available.
- Please see Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
- Constable Burton
- 1871, 1891, 1901
- 1841, 1861, 1871, 1901
- Constable Burton
- Transcript of the entry for Finghall in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Finghall.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Finghall to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE182897 (Lat/Lon: 54.302587, -1.721826), Finghall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Here is a photograph of The former school, Constable Burton.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: