Hide

FINGHALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.

hide
Hide
Hide

"FINGHALL, a parish in the N.R. of Yorkshire."


"CONSTABLE BURTON, in the parish of Finghall, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, stands in the road from Midlam to Richmond, and has the name from its ancient Lds. the Constables, though it does not appear to have come into their possession till the R. of Hen. VI. for in that of Edw. II. it bel. to the Ld. Scroop of Masham, who obtained a license for its holding a Mt. on F. and a Fair on the eve and day of St. Mary-Magdalen, and in his family it continued for several successions. 'Tis the seat of Sir Marmaduke Wyvil."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]