[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FOSTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 7½ miles SW. of Malton. The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), the living is a rectory in the gift of the Crown, incumbent the Rev. Sidney Smith. Pop. 91."
"FLAXTON, in the parishes of Bossall and Foston, wapentake of Bulmer a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles SSW. of Foston, 8 miles NE. of York. In the autumn of 1807, a lead box was turned up by the plough in a field near this place, which contained about 300 small Saxon silver coins, in high preservation, some silver rings, and several pieces of spurs. Pop. 299." - -(See Bossall for directory)
"THORNTON LE CLAY, in the parish of Foston, and wapentake of Bulmer; ¾ mile W. of Foston, 8 miles SW. of Malton. There are here a Methodist chapel and a Friends Meeting house. Pop. 173."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here is a transcription of the Monumental Inscriptions for All Saints, Foston to around 1900 by Alan Peacock.
- Alan Peacock has compiled a table of the census totals for 1801-1899.
- Transcript of the entry for Foston in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcriptions of the Baptism Register for All Saints, Foston by Alan Peacock:
- Here is transcription of the Marriages for All Saints, Foston for 1800-1899 by Alan Peacock.
- Here is transcription of the non Anglican births for Foston and Thornton le Clay by Alan Peacock.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Foston.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Foston to another place.
- In 1861 the township of Flaxton (a part in this parish and a part in the parish of Bossall) by an Order in Council, was constituted a separate and independent parish. See Flaxton Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE699652 (Lat/Lon: 54.077989, -0.933139), Foston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: