FYLINGDALES: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"FYLINGDALES, a parish in the liberty of WHITBYSTRAND, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.S.E. from Whitby, containing 1702 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and & 1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, has lately received an addition of one hundred and forty-two sittings, of which one hundred and twelve are free., the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £150 toward defraying the expense."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]