The Ancient Parish of GATE HELMSLEY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GATE HELMSLEY, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of St. Peter's; 6 miles ENE. of York. Here is a church, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph); the living is a vicarage, of which the prebend of Osbalderick is the patron. This village is one mile from Stamford bridge, where there is a great annual fair for cattle, cloth, &c. which was formerly held here. Pop. 209."
"STAMFORD BRIDGE, in the parish of Gate-Helmsley, wapentake of Bulmer. --See the East-Riding parish of Low Catton for an account of this village."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Gate Helmsley in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Gate Helmsley.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gate Helmsley to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE691553 (Lat/Lon: 53.989135, -0.947612), Gate Helmsley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque in St. Mary's Church, Gate Helmsley.