Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessienal Division of Bulmer East - Electoral Division of Flaxton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Bulmer - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This small parish contains, according to the overseer's returns, 469a. 1r. 20p., and is assessed at £1,194. The inhabitants number 204. A portion of the York and Market Weighton railway lies within the parish, on which there is a station about half-a-mile from the village. William B. Richardson, Esq., J.P., Huby Burn, is lord of the manor, but the principal landowners are Sir James Walker, Bart., Sand Hutton Hall, and Miss Tonge Horsley of The Mount, York.
The village is six miles E.N.E of York, and stands on the north side of the turnpike road which here divides the North and East Ridings. The Church (St. Mary), consists of chancel, nave with north and south aisles, and a tower at the north-west corner. The fabric was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1885, at which time a new chancel was built by the lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage, value £90, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and incumbency of the Rev. S. B. Craig, M.A., who is also vicar of Warthill. The tithes were commuted for 37 acres of land in 1769.
The Wesleyan Methodists have a small chapel in the village, rebuilt in 1861. The school, built in 1879, serves for the parishes of Upper and Gate Helmsley, and is attended by 35 children. An extensive Private Lunatic Asylum was for many years conducted here in the house now occupied by the Rev. D. Akenhead, vicar of Sand Hutton.
CHARITIES. - George Noate, senior, who died in 1680, left to the poor of this parish the sum of £10, and George Noate, his son, who died the same year, left a similar sum. Marmaduke Gooderick, in 1719, left a close of land called Peacock Close for the benefit of the poor.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.