[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GILLING EAST, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 5 miles S. of Helmsley, formerly the principal town in this part of the North Riding. The church is dedicated to the Holy Cross (see Churches for photograph); the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, by lapse. Here is a public school, endowed with £20. a year, by the Hon. Ann Fairfax. Population, 168.
The castle was built by Alan, Earl of Richmond, soon after the conquest, Richmond being then only a fort in subordination, and built afterwards to defend the lord and his tenants against the attempts of the Saxons and Danes, who, being deprived of their estates, made frequent attacks upon their invaders, to recover their rights. In the church is a family vault of the Fairfax's.
The Castle stands upon an eminence on the west side of the village, formerly belonged to the family of the Mowbrays, has now been long in the possession of the ancient family of the Fairfax's. -Camden. The most ancient part is the east end which is circular, and commands the vale below. Thos. Fairfax came into possession of Gilling-Castle and Estate, 7th of Henry VII. in consequence of his marriage with Elizabeth Etton. --Drake. In this Castle, "a singular record is extant of the gentry in this county in the beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. In the upper part of the panels of the wainscot of the great dining-room, are painted armorial trees, bearing the arms of each family in every wapentake in this county at that period, one wapentake occupying each panel, all of which, together with the beautiful finishing, wainscotting, and carving of the whole room, are still in perfect preservation." -Strickland"
"CAWTON, in the parish of Gilling East, and wapentake of Rydale; 1¾ miles E. of Gilling East, 6 miles SSE. of Helmsley. Pop. 105."
"GRIMSTON MOOR FARM, (now Grimston Grange - 2005), in the parish of Gilling East, and wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles SSW. of Gilling East, 6 miles S. of Helmsley. Population, 56."
- The list of Charitable donations in Holy Cross Church, Gilling East.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The Church of the Holy Cross, Gilling East.
- The Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady and The Holy Angels, Gilling East.
- The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Gilling East. This is an interesting picture, the Evangelist preacher's wagon ( don't know where he was, or his horse), the man by the gate has a paintbrush in one hand and pot of paint in the other. The other man looks like the station porter - only a few yards from the railway station
- The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Gilling East, - a modern view, now a private dwelling.
- Transcript of the entry for Gilling East in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gilling East to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE616769 (Lat/Lon: 54.184186, -1.057593), Gilling East which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial plaques on the entrance arch to Gilling East churchyard: