GILLING EAST: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"GILLING EAST, a parish in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 5 miles S. of Helmsley, its post town, and 18 N. of York. It is a station on the Thirsk and Malton branch of the North-Eastern line of railway. The high road between the above towns passes through the village. The parish includes the townships of Cawton, Grimston, and some smaller places. A castle was built here after the Norman Conquest, and was the seat of the earls of Richmond. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £632, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is an ancient structure, containing monuments of the Fairfax and Wilkinson families, an effigy of a knight of the 14th century, and a brass dated 1503. The charities, including a school endowment of £14, produce about £32 per annum. Gilling Castle, an old baronial seat with modern improvements, is the residence of C. G. Fairfax, Esq., who is lord of the manor."
"CAWTON, a township in the parish of Gilling East, wapentake of Ryedale, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles S. of Helmsley."
"GRIMSTONE, a township in the parish of Gilling East, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 6 miles S. of Helmsley. The railway at Gilling is 1 mile N. of the village. There is a small charity of £1 per annum. William Gurforth, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013