Gilling West


The Ancient Parish of GILLING WEST

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"GILLING WEST, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3 miles N. of Richmond; is a place of great antiquity, and once of sufficient consequence to give name to two wapentakes, Gilling East and Gilling West. The present vicar, his brother, has lately erected a noble vicarage, and improved the village very considerably. In addition to the parish church, which is dedicated to St. Agatha (see Churches for photograph), there are here a Methodist chapel and a National school, the latter of which affords instruction to 75 poor children. Population, including Hartforth and Stedbury, 921.

About half a mile from Gilling is Gilling Wood hall, now a farm-house, but formerly the residence of a branch of the Duke of Wharton's family, it was burnt down about eighty years ago, and is now the property of John Wharton, Esq. of Skelton Castle, in Cleveland, M.P. for Beverley, who is Lord of the manor, and has a large estate here, with the patronage of the living. The free stone quarry of this place is of the finest quality, said to be one of the best in Yorkshire, and of which nearly all the bridges in the North Riding are built.

It was here that Oswyn, King of Deira, was murdered by Oswin of Bernicia, A.D. 651. To atone for this foul murder, Eanfleda, wife of Oswin, who was also related to Oswyn; founded the monastery of Ingethlingum, so called by Bede, not a Vestige of which is now to be seen. Gilling is remarkable also as having been the residence of the Saxon Edwin and his progenitors. The Castle, the seat of the Saxon Earls was situated upon a hill, nearly a mile to the south of the village, the vestiges of which were removed some time since."

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.

  • Atley Hill
  • Brackenby
  • Eppleby
  • Eryholme
  • Hartforth
  • Hedgeholm
  • Little Hutton
  • North Cowton
  • Pepper Hall
  • Sedbury
  • Sedbury Hall
  • South Cowton
  • Temple House

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]



Church History


Church Records







  • Between 1823 and 1890, the chapelry of Eryholme (in this parish) became a parish in its own right. See Eryholme Parish.
  • Between 1823 and 1890, the townships of North and South Cowton (in this parish) became a parish in their own right. See South Cowton Parish.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ181051 (Lat/Lon: 54.440991, -1.722431), Gilling West which are provided by:


Memorial Inscriptions


Names, Geographical

  • The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
    • (NZ169106) Carkin Fields
    • (NZ175094) Carkin Grange
    • (NZ164083) Carkin Moor
    • (NZ152156) Moor Row