GLAISDALE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"GLAISDALE, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 10 miles W.S.W. from. Whitby, containing 1043 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1500 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church was built in 1793, upon the site of a more ancient edifice, consecrated in 1388. A place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists was erected by subscription in 1821. Samuel Prudom, in 1741, and John Brodrick, in 1758, gave £2 per annum each, for which eight boys are instructed."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]